This easy cashew pesto recipe is made with 5 simple ingredients and comes together in under 10 minutes! Enjoy it on pasta, as a dip or as a dressing!
Don’t you just love recipes that are so quick and easy to make and are ready in a mater of minutes? I know I do!
This easy cashew pesto is made in a blender with just a few simple ingredients. This has become my go-to pesto recipe which can be used in so many different ways! I love it on edamame pasta which is loaded with protein, gluten free and vegan. Top it off with fresh baby tomatoes and freshly ground pepper for a healthy, nutrient dense dinner.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS PESTO
- It’s made with 5 simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
- It’s loaded with nutrition from the basil that you can find fresh at your local farmers market
- It uses cashews which compliment the flavour of basil for a delicious pesto!
- It is vegan and gluten free - the perfect replacement for store bought pesto
WHAT MAKES THIS RECIPE SO HEALTHY
- Basil: loaded with antioxidants and vitamins A, C and K
- Cashews: great source of magnesium and copper which support healthy bones, energy production and antioxidant defences
- Extra virgin olive oil: lowers inflammation, protects “bad” LDL cholesterol from oxidation and improves the lining of your blood vessels
- Garlic: Supports a healthy immune system, and kills off bad bacteria/candida in the gut
- Lemon juice: Lemon helps the body with the absorption of iron from leafy green vegetables.
- Nutritional yeast: It is a complete protein: Nutritional yeast contains all nine essential amino acids that humans must get from food. One tablespoon contains 2 grams of protein, making it an easy way for vegans to add high-quality protein to meals
NOTES ON THE RECIPE:
- Add fresh kale to make this recipe even healthier!
- To make nut-free pesto, substitute the cashews in this recipe for hemp seeds
- Don't like basil? Swap for cilantro!
- To freeze this pesto, add spoonfuls of the pesto to an icecube tray and freeze.
- 2 cups baby spinach (washed and stems removed)
- 2 cups fresh sweet basil
- 4 large garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups cashews (finely ground)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/2 cup extra extra-virgin oil
- Baby tomatoes
- Black pepper
- Edamame pasta or pasta of choice
- Cook your pasta of choice. Bring water to a boil, add pasta, simmer, strain, set aside.
- Blend cashews until they are finely ground.
- Place the fresh spinach, fresh basil, garlic, nutritional yeast, fresh lemon juice, sea salt and finely ground cashews in a food processor or blender, and blend for just 30 seconds or so, or until forming a chunky mixture.
- Add pesto, baby tomatoes, and freshly ground pepper to the pasta and enjoy!