There is nothing better than a warming soup on a chilly day! This is one of my favourite quick and simple recipes to make for weekday dinners. I usually store the remainder of the soup in a large mason jar, refrigerated. Or you can freeze for up to 1 month.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH IS THE POWER FOOD YOU NEED IN YOUR DIET:
Did you know that butternut squashes are loaded with vitamin A? One single cup provides 457% of our recommended daily value. Vitamin A helps to prevent infection and beta-carotene, also found in butternut squash, helps to support the functions of a healthy immune system. Hellooo powerfood! It is also a complex carbohydrate and provides a slower, more sustainable release of energy which is great to keep your blood glucose levels in tact.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE:
- This recipe requires only one big pot and a blender so it is super easy to make and clean up.
- It’s a versatile recipe, so if you can add whatever extra toppings you like! Think pumpkin seeds, cilantro, coconut flakes, coconut cream!
- More protein? Add quinoa, chicken (not vegan), or oven baked tofu to this recipe to keep you full a little longer!
- Full of fibre, protein vitamins and minerals!
- This is a freezer-friendly recipe! So it’s perfect to prep in advance and store in the freezer for when you need dinner on the table fast.
WHAT INGREDIENTS GO IN VEGAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP?
Here are a few of the ingredients we’ll be using to make this soup:
- Onions: a necessity.
- Garlic: 4 cloves!
- Spices: red pepper flakes, salt - simple!
- Butternut squash: You can use fresh, or the easier route - frozen cubes!
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2” piece of ginger
- Small handful of cilantro with stems
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 medium butternut squash or 1 large (about 4lbs total)
- 400 ml of coconut milk (full fat)
- 3 cups water or veggie broth
- 1/4 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp salt + more to taste
- 1 lime (juiced)
On a cutting board chop up your onion into cubes. No stress in chopping too much here as it is all going to go into a blender later on! Peel your garlic and ginger. Roughly chop. Separate your cilantro leaves and stems. Roughly chop both.
Now for the squash. If you are using frozen squash, de-thaw and set aside. If you are using a whole butternut squash, you want to cut it length wise and peel the skin off. After you have peeled it, you can scoop out the seeds. Chop your butternut squash into cubes (even so they cook at the same rate). Set aside for later.
Heat olive oil in a big soup pot on medium heat. Add chopped onion, garlic, ginger, cilantro stems, red pepper flakes and salt. Sauté for 5-7 minutes or until onion is soft and translucent.
Add water (or veggie broth), coconut milk and butternut squash to the pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 12-14 minutes unit squash is soft. If you are using pre frozen and thawed squash, you may need to adjust your time to 6-8 minutes.
Once your veggies are soft, transfer to a blender. If you have a vent in your blender lid, keep it open so steam can escape. Cover this hole with a clean cloth. Working in sections you will blend everything until smooth.
Transfer soup back from blender into your pot. Add lime juice and salt to taste. Reheat on stove top. Serve with chopped cilantro, coconut flakes and coconut cream! Enjoy!