These Baked Vegan Chai Donuts are infused with warming spices and are a much healthier option if you are craving something sweet! They require just a handful of ingredients, one bowl and 30 minutes to make from start to finish!
NOTES ABOUT BAKING YOUR OWN GLUTEN-FREE DOUGHNUTS
- For these vegan chai latte donuts, I use a gluten-free flour blend. However, if you want to sub all-purpose flour, it should work as well!
- Check to see if your gluten-free flour blend, has xanthan gum added in. If it doesn’t, you can add 1 tsp to the recipes. Xanthan gum helps to replace the elasticity in gluten-free flours so your doughnuts come out soft and fluffy.
- I recommend investing in a doughnut pan, however if you don't have one on hand you can bake the batter in muffin tins instead. Make sure to adjust your time and keep checking them if this is the case!
- For these baked chai latte doughnuts we will simply be using ground spices in the batter to give them that warm chai flavour.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE:
- This recipe is made in 30 minutes!
- It’s a versatile recipe, so you can top with whatever toppings you'd like!
- These doughnuts are a healthier option for when you are craving something sweet.
- The doughnuts are incredibly easy to make, requiring just one bowl and a handful of ingredients!
- 1 cup all purpose gluten-free flour (one that has xanthan gum already added to it)
- 1/4 cup organic coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 & 1/3 cups almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Optional Glaze + topping:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Non-dairy milk
- Chopped walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and spray a donut pan with cooking spray. This recipe makes 6 baked donuts.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add in the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Spoon or pipe the batter evenly into your greased donut circles, smoothing out the top of the batter.
- Bake the donuts for 10-12 minutes or until slightly golden brown and toothpick inserted into one of the donuts comes out clean.
- Let doughnuts cool in pan for a few minutes, remove and let completely cool on a rack.
- To make the glaze, If desired, in a small bowl whisk together the powdered sugar and non-dairy milk (adding the milk in 1 teaspoon increments until the glaze is the consistency you want) for a simple sugar glaze. Dip the cooled donuts in the glaze or drizzle the glaze on top.
- Chop your walnuts and add to the glaze. Serve and enjoy!